As some of you know (but the majority don't) I am an import to the area...I got off the boat last May (2010) and have been learning all about the Pac NW. I spent the majority of my life in the midwest (Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, a brief foray in Nebraska, Indiana) and did venture a bit South into Kentucky and Tennessee (which some may consider the midwest, while some may not...). However the weather and terrain was pretty similar in the midwest - terrain: flat; weather: cold in the winter, hot in the summer, with the possibility of having both climates in the same day.
...So...without further ado, my list of why living in Western WA is great...
- Views of Mt. Rainier are breathtaking and priceless
- Approx. 100 miles to mountains or to the ocean. Can practically do anything outdoors here (except surfing...prob don't want to do much surfing in WA...although I'm sure there are those that do!)
- Mild summers and mild winters. It isn't regularly above 80 with high humidity during the summer...It isn't usually below freezing during the winter. (Yes, in the morning it might be...but it doesn't stay there...)
- I love all the hippy-earthy types in the area..."allows" for convenient/easy recycling and a lot of great little stores and local produce. (I actually saw a compost bin in the McD's next to the Space Needle...awesome!!)
- Although Seattle-area doesn't have Stumptown's quantity of microbreweries...there are still a hand full, and access to the microbrews of Portland :-)
- The tri-season is plentiful! And lots of local lakes to get an OWS in!
- Whenever I'm traveling to and from Chicago...I can usually tell which women are from Seattle and which women are from Chicago...women in Chicago do not wear sensible shoes and I have never understood that. When I've been in Chicago-Chicago I always see many women wearing the most uncomfortable looking heels walking around...But Seattle women prove that you can be both adorable and comfortable!
- 2-words: Coffee Shacks (nom, nom!!)
- And last, but not least...although I'm sure I'm forgetting many things - or haven't learned many other perks - BuDu Racing!!